Born in Athenai (Greece), 1954Lives & works in New York (United States) Very active in: 80s, 90s, 2000s, Current decadeRepresentative galleries:Anita Beckers
Video Art Works
The Lounge of Ethernal Fun (2008)
I love candies, but my passion is collecting art 1 (2008)
I love candies, but my passion is collecting art 2 (2008)
Jenny Marketou, is a new media artist born in Athens, Greece, who lives in New York City. Her work in video, video installations, digital media, performance, photography and public dialog investigates the relationship between public and private ,access and control in our cultural landscape.
Her work has been shown internationally including the Sao Paulo Biennial in Brazil; Venice Biennial in Venice ; Les Rencontres Internationales Centre Pompidou in Paris ;Theater Platz and Kunstalle Basel ,Switzerland; E:vent Gallery in London; Anita Beckers Gallery in Frankfurt,; LOOP Video Art 07 in Barcelona,; ZKM, Centre for Art and New Media in Karlsruhe, Germany; Eyebeam in New York; Reina Sofia, Museum of Contemporary Art in Madrid; The Rose Art Museum, Brandeis University, Boston; Sammlung Essl in Vienna; The Queens Museum in New York among other venues. He projects have been commissioned by PULSE New York City, Shift Festival in Basel, Switzerland: Laboral, Centre for the Arts and Creative Industries, Gijon Asturias ,Spain; Cornerhouse and Futuresonic in Manchester,UK; ZeroOne/ISEA 06 in San Jose, California; The Black Box/ARCO 06, in Madrid, Spain.
She has been awarded grants and artists residencies worldwide and holds a Master of Fine Arts from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York. She taught as an adjunct professor Photography and Interdisciplinary studio art at The Cooper Union School of Art and Science in New York City. She is the author of the book with photographs and interviews " The Great Longing: The Greeks of Astoria, Queens".
- Dumbo Arts Center, Brooklyn, New York
- NEXT Art Fair Chicago ,Anita Beckers Gallery, Chicago,ILL.
- "Odour's Limits", Klein Art Gallery, Science Center , Philadelphia, PA
- "The Lounge of Ethereal Fun", solo artist?s project commissioned by PULSE/New York in collaboration with Anita Beckers Gallery, New York, NY
- Les Rencontres Internationales, The National Museum Reina Sophia, Madrid Spain
- Public Art Installation commisioned by Ingenuity08, International Festival for New Media and Performing Arts, Cleveland, Ohio
- John Michael Koheler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
- E:vent Gallery, London, UK
- Les Rencontres Internationales , Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- "To Be Continued", Anita Beckers Gallery, Frankfurt-Maine, Germany
- Berlin Art Forum, Anita Beckers Gallery, Berlin, Germany
- Red Eyed Sky Walkers, Solo Public Art Project , Theater Platz and Kunstalle Basel, commissioned by Shift New Media Art Festival, Basel, Switzerland
- Hardcore Art Contemporary Space, Miami, Florida, USA
- Heterotopias, The Public Screen, 1st Biennial of Thessaloniki, Centre of Contemporary Art, Thessaloniki, Greece
- LOOP Video Art 07, Anita Beckers Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- "FeedBack", Laboral, Centre for Art and Creative Industries curated by Christiane Paul, Gijon, Spain
- Art Video Lounge, Basel/Miami Beach 06 in Miami, Florida, USA
- ZeroOne/ISEA 06, San Jose, California, USA
- The Black Box/ARCO 06, Madrid, Spain
- The Project Room, ArteBa, Buenos Aeries, Argentina
- The Rose Art Museum, Brandeis University, Boston, USA
- Flying Cinema, Amakula International Film and Video Festival, Kampala, Uganda
- Diverse Works, Houston, Texas, USA
- Eyebeam, New York, N.Y., USA
- ZKM, Centre for Art and New Media in Karlsruhe, Germany
- Reina Sofia, Museum of Contemporary Art, Madrid, Spain
- The Krannert Art Museum, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA
- Unlimited/Art Forum/Art Basel in Basel, Switzerland
- The Breeder Gallery, Athens, Greece
- Cologne Art Fair, Cologne, Germany
- Sammlung Essl in Vienna, Austria
- Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, Germany
- The New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, N.Y., USA
- The Edith Russ House for New Media in Oldenburg, Germany
- Viper Film and Video festival, Basel, Switzerland
- Cornehouse and FutureSonic, Manchester, UK
- Transmediale, Berlin, Germany
- World Wide Video Festival, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- ZKM, Centre for Art and New Media in Karlsruhe, Germany
- FIX National Museum of Cotemporary Art, Athens, Greece
- Sao Paulo Biennial 1998, Sao Paulo Brazil, represented Greece
- Manifesta 1 1996, Witte de With, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Articles and Reviews
2008: Fear of Feat Itself /Surveillance Society, Jenny Marketou with Alexander Mc Spadden, DAMno , Design, Art and Architecture Magazine No 15, March 2008.
- 2007: Katerina Gregos, Hellenic Contemporary, Flash Art, The World?s Leading Art Magazine, International, Vol.XL.No.256 Oct. 2007.
- 2007: Milagros Bello, ?The New Media Festival, Second Edition,? Wynwood: The Art Magazine, Miami, New York, US, International. Vol. 1, No. 2, Oct. 2007.
- 2007: Christiane Paul, FeedBack, Laboral Centre for Arts and Creative Industries, Gijon, Asturias, Spain.
- 2006:"Shakespeare + POP Star= A great game."
- 2006: ? Take you by Storm? an interview with Jenny Marketou and Small World Podcast.
- 2005-2006: Michael Rush, ?Power and Control: Surveillance and Performance in Video Art,? Krannert Art Museum, Urbana, Illinois and The Rose Art Museum, Boston, Mass.
- 2005: Amanda Beattie, ?Displacing Identity and Privacy: An Analysis of Jenny Marketou?s? Translocal Camp in my Tent,? essay, Montreal, Canada.
- 2004: Angela Dimitrakaki and Jenny Marketou, n.paradoxa international feminist art journal, volume #14, London, UK
- In the mood for today
What day is today? How to define Monday? What is a Thursday? What are Saturdays like? What meanings does each day evoke in the collective imagination? How is today defined?